After months of work, thousands of lines of code and an uncountable number of coffees, we are thrilled to announce that the new Timeneye is finally out!
I’d also like to say a huge “thank you” to all our beta testers that helped us during these months to shape the new version of Timeneye – hey chaps, make sure to switch to track.timeneye.com, the current beta version will be disabled and you’ll be redirected to the web app page.
We have decided to sum up all the new features that we have added to Timenye, so you can get a sense of some of the new changes we have made!
We think you’re really going to love it.
Calendar: a completely new dashboard
This is the biggest and most visible change from the current version: we have replaced the old “timesheet dashboard view” with a more intuitive version of your upcoming week. We were amazed by the simplicity and effectiveness of this view: basically, it comes with a built-in report as you’ll be able to immediately see on which projects you have worked and how much time you have allocated for each day.
The old dashboard is still there, can you spot it?
The old log entries dashboard has been moved to the top bar and you can now open it at any time. We have also equipped it with filters and introduced a “copy entries” functionality as well as small design changes that are going to improve the overall flow: we have added a”year field” to every time entry that is not related to the current year so you can easily spot past entries without confusing them.
Work Can Wait: it’s Weekend!
We have added a “hide/show weekends” button next to the current day to let you set up your work schedule so you don’t have to track work on the weekends. On the other hand, if the 8 to 5 Monday to Friday schedule is not for you, you’ll be able to track time with no limitations.
Register time: timers and manual entries all in one place
We went back to the basics and kept a single dialog for both tracking time manually and starting timers. The biggest change is the new Recap Section on the right side of the form: there you’ll see saved time entries and under “pending” the active timers and the paused ones. Some other features:
- Decide if you want to close on save the register time dialog avoiding to make unnecessary extra clicks.
- Admin superpowers have been brought here as well: now it’s possible to create projects and phases on the fly directly from the register time form.
- Last but not least we have added some more intelligence to the form: from now on the register time form will auto select projects and or phase based on the last used ones and will show favorite projects first.
Projects: stay on top of everything
We are sure that the new project view will be project managers and admin best friend. We have redesigned the table removing some unnecessary information and adding the EDIT button next to each project to quickly access to the edit section.
The budget section now shows the percentage of your reached budget. The completed hours are shown simply hovering with your mouse on this bar.
Now all active projects are sorted in alphabetical order and archived projects are stored separately but accessible on the same screen. We have also added a new separator bar and redesigned the whole table to make spotting single projects easier.
Manage projects: new dedicated project edit view
The project layout was confusing and the editing process required too many clicks. Now we have reorganized everything in simple tabs containing all the project editing functions.
- Basic Info: here you can edit the project name and color, set a total budget for it as well as a client and mark it as billable.
- Phases: finally a complete list of all your Phases where you can set budgets and choose a category for each of them. We have also added a column indicating the total budget for the phases to have a clearer idea of the relationship between phases total budget and project budget.
- Team: similar to the phase section, here you’ll be able to give permissions and set a total number of hours for each user in the project.
- Integrations: here you’ll be able to integrate your project with other tools.
“One project to rule them all”
In order to avoid any issues with invited users, we’ve decided to make compulsory assigning one project to a new user. In this way new users added to Timeneye will meet immediately with a project, greatly shortening the test phase of the new product.
New Widget: better performances and future cool features
The new widget has a new little brother (we have also developed a widget for Opera) and it has been completely redesigned from scratch. As you’ll see the new widget is similar to the Register Time dialog and besides the possibility to start timers and register manual time entries you’ll find an entry list where it’s possible to manage time entries without opening the web app. While using it, you’ll instantly realize that the integration is faster and more stable too.
Brace yourselves because our widget is ready to integrate with 3 new tools.
We are already working on the next update
We have updated our public Trello board where you can have a look at what we are currently working. Here’s what you’ll see very soon in Timeneye:
- Brand new Reports.
- Custom Timeneye emails with a new design.
- Pomodoro Timers.
- New register time mode: “from/to” will appear in the register time dialog allowing to start an initial time and end time for a specific entry.
- Invoicing Integrations.
- Hourly rates for users and phases.
- New mobile apps.
We have made many changes in Timeneye but always with simplicity in mind: we have cleaned the web app from unuseful features making it smoother and easier to use.
Since this is one of the biggest updates for us so far, it’s time to express your feedback and let us know your impressions on the new platform and about what you’d like to see next.